Fairfield was founded in 1935 and moved to its present site, covering over two acres, in 1947.
Our founder, a local governess named Miss Barbara Lambert (affectionately known as Lamb) opened the original school on 25th September 1935 in the old National School building in Backwell Farleigh, where it remained until after the war. New regulations then necessitated a move to the present site in Fairfield Way, Backwell in 1947.
When Miss Lambert retired in 1965, a group of parents was instrumental in setting up the school as it is today. We aim to hold our Founders’ Day Service on the Friday closest to 25th September each year, when a short service in the afternoon is followed by a reception for pupils, parents and friends of the school.
Thanks to the commitment and wise management of our governors, Fairfield has continued to change, develop and improve over the years; there is a rolling development plan for buildings which has seen a new Hall and then our Early Years Foundation Stage building completed over recent years. The most recent phase of our development saw the completion of three new classrooms for Years 4, 5 and 6 and a computer suite of 21 networked computers. In addition, all classrooms have a networked computer with access to broadband and Interactive Whiteboards have been installed in all classrooms.
We are located in a quiet road in the village of Backwell, which lies on the main A370 between Bristol and Weston-super-Mare. Our site includes a playing field, tennis court, Conservation Area and car park.
The school became a registered educational charity in 1964 and is currently administered by a Board of Governors comprised of several Foundation Governors and two Parent Governors. The governors provide a wide range of skills and experience and some of the present governors are ex parents who retain a close interest in the development and success of the school. The Parents’ Association works closely with the school to provide opportunities for parents to meet and socialise.